Everything You Need to Know About Ausbildung

Ausbildung is a special system in Germany which allows students from all over the world to work in German companies as apprentices.

Everything You Need to Know About Ausbildung

What is Ausbildung and how does it work?

In recent years, the number of immigrants to Germany has increased significantly. One of the ways to immigrate to Germany is to participate in vocational training, called apprenticeship. To apply for these courses, you must be between 18 and 25 years old and have a secondary school diploma and a German certificate at B1-B2 level. Depending on the profession, the average monthly salary of apprentices ranges from 600 EUR to 1200 EUR.

The population in Germany is aging and getting older. Considering this fact, Germany has created opportunities for foreign workers that make it easier for them to enter the labor market and benefit from high-paying jobs in Germany. One of these opportunities is training in Germany for an apprenticeship.

There are currently about 330 apprenticeship occupations. The duration of most apprenticeships is about 2-3 years, some of them 2.5-5 years. It ends with the rank of skilled worker. This degree provides a good opportunity for foreign workers from all over the world to get a permanent job in Germany.

Types of training
In Germany, there are usually two types of Aubsulding:
 1. Schulische (School-based)
 2. Dual study (Duale)

1. Schulische (School-based)
In this type of training, trainees are taught more theoretical vocational knowledge, which lasts longer than the practical training. The duration of the school-based training is 2.5 to 5 years. These courses are organized by technical vocational academies or colleges, which are either private or public. In this case, there is no scholarship, and trainees must pay the tuition for the private school. In addition, most private schools require applicants to be 16-18 years old. These courses offer training in nursing, banking, sales, treatment and healthcare, interpreting, IT assistance, design, etc. However, these courses mainly train trainees in the medical and healthcare fields (mainly nursing). In this type of training, trainees do not receive a salary, except for those who are trained for nursing.

2. Dual (Dual)
This type of training combines two different types of vocational training in different places: theoretical training in a vocational school and practical training in a company. In this type of training, trainees have the opportunity to immediately apply it in the real world and become familiar with it. They must be employed by a company to begin their training. They work almost half of their time in the company where they do their internship and spend the other half of their time training in a vocational school. These companies cover all the costs of vocational training for the trainees. The duration of study and training in dual programs of apprenticeship varies in different areas, but most of these periods are 2-3 years. During this time you will be paid for your work.

You may wonder how much you will get as a monthly salary after completing your training. Usually it is between 2000 EUR and 3800 EUR, depending on your profession, and it increases every year based on your experience.

Best paid training programs (during training)
- Air traffic controller
- Ship mechanic
- Police officer
- Nurse
- Salesman
- IT specialist
- Mechatronics specialist
- Bank employee
- Aircraft mechanic
- Electronics technician

There are no legal requirements for applying for an apprenticeship, but overall, preparing the requirements for applying for an apprenticeship is not as demanding as other applications.
There is just something you need to know. Applying for an apprenticeship is less difficult if you are a European, but if you are a non-European citizen, you will need to apply for an apprenticeship visa, which is considered a work visa and ends with a PR visa.

Requirements for the 2023 Education Visa
An education visa is required for applicants who are not from Europe. The following documents are required to apply for an education visa:
German language certificate
Considering that there is no vocational training in English and all training is in German, you must learn the German language. The German language certificate must be at least B1 level. For some of the programs B2 is also required.

You must write your CV in German, unless there are exceptions depending on the job or company. Your CV must include the following:
- Personal information (name, date of birth, citizenship, passport size photo, etc.)
- Education
- Work experience
- Achievements, skills
Cover Letter
The cover letter is a half-page or one-page document (3 or 4 paragraphs, 250 to 400 words total) in which you explain how you found the company, why you want to work there, etc. Write your cover letter in a way that motivates and entices the reader to check out your CV.
- Header
It contains your contact information (first and last name, phone number, email address, date, hiring manager's name and job title).
Be sure to include your professional email address!
- Introduction
Before you start writing the introduction, greet your hiring manager, for example, with "Dear hiring manager." Your introduction must include your personal information and information about what you are applying for, where, and why.
- Body
In this section, you should introduce your accomplishments and experience. Highlight one or two of your accomplishments, but do not repeat them NOT, because your paragraphs need to be as short as possible. Try to use the most effective words in your text to avoid redundancy.
- Conclusion
It must contain future plans, a thank you to the recruiter and a call to action. The last sentence in this part should be a call to action. "I can help you in this matter with the strategy I developed in one of my successful projects in this company.") This is just a simple and general example. The underlined phrases will need to be modified depending on your profession.
NOTE - Some training programs require a cover letter that is different from the cover letter.

School Leaving Certificate
If you are from a non-European country and you graduated from school there, you will need to have it translated into German and notarized in order for it to be legally recognized in Germany. All you have to do is send your translated document to the authorities of the country.

Secondary school diploma
You can only apply for various degree programs, especially commercial and technical programs, if you have a secondary school diploma, which means that you must have completed 9 years of school.
Junior High School Certificate
This means that you must have completed 10 years of schooling. There are also several programs that require only a junior high school diploma.
High School Diploma
All education programs are open to you if you have your high school diploma.

Proof of funds
You must prove and convince the authorities that you have enough money to support yourself. This must be at least 850 EUR per month. If you cannot prove this, your application will be rejected. This matter will be much easier and more flexible if you receive a salary in training.
- You will need a certificate of your training position and a letter of confirmation from your German employer.
- You will need a valid passport, which is a basic requirement for applying for a visa.

Uttervision has the best immigration consultants who have helped many applicants who did not know where or how to start. So, if you want to apply for an education in Germany, Uttervision will be happy to assist you.







Want to process your application and see your eligibility?
Become a member and use our powerful platform to customize your options


Gist of Morocco


Gist of Morocco


Gist of Jordan

We’re on a mission to

democratize Visa for Everyone, Everywhere

Latest News

See All ( 31 )